Why the drama? My thought about the movie: JINN

 


A movie is a story written by someone. Sometimes, because it was acted and the characters lived in our eyes, we forget it's actually someone's story: A story that may have taken place in reality or only in the writer's mind.


I take the way I spend my time seriously. I do not ever want to waste a minute of my life. So whether I am praying, reading, writing, cooking, gisting, sleeping or seeing a movie, it is meaningful to me, though it may look like a waste of time to someone else. My criteria for measuring meaningfulness is as follows: does it align with my goals, will I learn something from it, is it helpful to me or someone else?


The movie, Jinn, tells the story of a young girl (Summer) whose mother converted to Islam in her senior year. Summer was full of fire, a dancer and a social media enthusiast. Her mother tried to quench her fire, get her to stop dancing and start dressing like a true Muslim.


The entire story wasn't centered around Summer and her mother. Their were other people: the Muslim boy from a liberal family, the boy's parents, Summer's father, the imam and other faithfuls at the mosque.


I feel the writer wanted us to focus on the issue of identity. Your identity was handed down to you by your parents. It could be their religion, their profession, or their believe system. But I want to focus on the aspect of religion.


If my parents weren't Christians, I don't think I would have become a Christian. I am not the kind of person who would go against her family values. But I have gone beyond the identity my parents gave me. I have gone in search of spiritual encounters and I have formed my own identity. I have discovered that religion offers peace, gives a sense of belonging and keeps the conscience alive.


The problem Summer had in the movie is the same problem we have in the world today. People think religion is all about keeping to certain rules. These rules limit the individual and bring about suffering, fear and anxiety. It titles every form of freedom 'sin.' I am not implying that there is no sin. Any thing you do that is harmful to someone else (lying, stealing, envy, dishonor, murder, adultery, etc) or even to your spirit man (idolatry, blasphemy, drunkenness, etc)  is a sin. If your conscience is alive, it convicts you of sin no matter your religion. But having a good life (without harming anyone or yourself) is no sin.



We are all spirit beings limited by the body. When we become spiritually minded, we deny the body a certain amount of freedom, so that the spirit will keep winning. But people pretend to be what they are not because it is what their religion requires. They do not give up things in order to activate their spirit man. They do not have any connection whatsoever with their spirit (which is the spirit of God that He breathed into man from onset).


Religious people made it appear that everything you want to do to enjoy freedom is sin. "Thou shall not uncover you hair to receive fresh air, thou shall not smile too much, thou shall not wear colourful cloths, thou shall not have too much money."


Some people started putting on acts and started judging everyone who doesn't put on similar acts. They do all that just to feel superior and to be known as 'the ones who know God.' These acts do not help their spirit man or fellow humans in any way. The only question on my mind is, "why the drama?" Why deny yourself of everything you love in public (food, music, clothing, etc) but enjoy them in secret? Why waste your time on things that mean nothing to you?


Before you start arguing, I need you to understand me clearly. I am not saying that everyone is acting. Some of us are spiritually minded. We love God, we worship Him from the depth of our hearts and we desire to live in Love, because God is Love.


CLICK HERE TO GET THE NEXT MOVIE UPDATE!

Written by Kaycee Bliss

Instagram: @kaycee_bliss 

YOUTUBE: Kaycee Bliss


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SCHOOL OF BLISS part 1

WHY YOU HAVEN’T RECEIVED WHAT YOU ARE ASKING FOR

Do you put off living in the present to worry about the future or the past?

Changing your perspective, 1.

You can overtake chariots

30 things Life taught me

What is your drive?

DO YOU THINK MORE ABOUT WHAT YOU HAVE OR ABOUT WHAT YOU LACK?

CAN YOU BE ANYTHING DIFFERENT FROM WHAT YOU THINK?

The Mistake of Inconsistency