The grass looks greener on the other side: the science school experience


 

I am writing a series on the topic: the grass looks greener on the other side. "The science school experience" is the first part.

When I was in Junior high school (JSS3), I had two options for Senior high school; either to continue in the same school or to move to a special science school since I was interested in sciences. I choose to move to a science school, and then comes the option of choosing which of the science schools to go to. There was a special science school in the same compound with my school (let us call it science school A), but I swore never to go to that one nearby. I can't really remember all my reasons though, the number one reason was because it was nearby. I see the way the senior students maltreat the other students, so I never wanted to go through that; plus I wouldn't want to be asked to go from home since the school isn't so far from home. I actually never saw that particular science school as a school I should choose for any reason. So I choose another one which was far from home and appears higher in standard.

When I entered my new science school, I felt fulfilled but not for long. The senior students were actually worse that the ones I saw in science school A. The environment looked better but by the time I was asked to bring my own bed to the dormitory, I realized a book is not supposed to be judged by it's cover. My new science school had no refectory, horrible toilets, no good water supply and very little electricity; but science school A had these things. At this point, there was no going back. I have burned the bridges and I am never looking back. 

That was how I decided to focus on the good side: I am living in the school as I wanted, we had a lot of space that we don't share with any other school unlike science school A, we had laboratories, we had unique school and hostel uniforms, we had an amazing school fellowship and we got to church in the church where my parents wedded in before I was born. That is a lot to be grateful for. The situation with the seniors got better after my first year and a new principal came who improved the condition of the school generally. We also got a better Mathematics and Geography teacher. Thanks to them we stopped failing those subjects and started seeing them as subjects that can actually be loved. I was so proud of my school that I refused to listen to my mum when she suggested change of school after I came home with bruises on my knees as a result of so so kneeling down in school.

The truth is that it was after I became an adult years later that I realized I didn't go to science school A, i.e, the science school nearby because I thought the grass will be greener on the other side. That was also when I realized that things like this have happened to me a lot of times, but I still love the experiences and lessons I got from it all. I forgot to mention I was only 13 years old when the science school experience happened.

@kaycee_bliss

Next, I will share "the industrial training experience"

Use the links below to see other post you will love:

Why you are not who you want to be

Do the things you fear happen to you? 

Changing your perspective 1

Changing your perspective 2 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SCHOOL OF BLISS part 1

WHY YOU HAVEN’T RECEIVED WHAT YOU ARE ASKING FOR

Do you put off living in the present to worry about the future or the past?

Changing your perspective, 1.

You can overtake chariots

30 things Life taught me

What is your drive?

DO YOU THINK MORE ABOUT WHAT YOU HAVE OR ABOUT WHAT YOU LACK?

CAN YOU BE ANYTHING DIFFERENT FROM WHAT YOU THINK?

The Mistake of Inconsistency